Saturday, September 18, 2010

Took My Peaches To Georgia

It has been almost one year since I gave notice at my job of six years, packed up or threw out every last item I possessed, said goodbye to my family and amazing friends and made the move to Georgia with the MOMD. I have now been at my new job for nine months, in our house for seven months and married for six months.

We have had some hard times this past year; two family members had heart attacks, we were in two car accidents within a month of each other, I got Lyme disease, two family members passed away within a week of each other...the list goes on and on. It's been a hard year but a year of growth, not only personally, spiritually and emotionally but physically. Ha (we have both packed on a little "I'm happily married" weight)

I often miss my friends and my dad so much that I am careless with my words. So many times in the last year the phrases, "I hate Georgia!" and "I can't wait to move back to Oregon" have flown from my mouth. You have to keep in mind that it is nothing short of true that Georgia is almost the polar opposite of what I am accustomed, but that gives me no right to be so vilely ungrateful for this time in my life of change.

Moments of truth usually come to me when I'm getting ready for work in the morning. My most recent truth was that if I'm honest with myself, 'This is what I've always dreamed of'. I am living the main desire of my heart. This is my Psalm 37:4. That's when it hit me that again I have let the little things, you know those things you never remember a year later, get in the way of enjoying my answered prayers. At that moment I saw exactly what I had been doing. I had been focusing not on this amazing blessing of being a wife but on the terrible traffic, the sticky heat and a distance between me and those I love. Heartbreaking. I spent that day asking God for forgiveness and thanking him for Andrew. Things still get to me but since God has made me so aware of this, I am able to work on it a little each day.

As Andrew and I prepare for his deployment next year we cherish the small amount of time we have together. The little things seem much smaller and I couldn't be happier that God has allowed me to live my dream.

No comments: